Today I want to talk about another important part of building a business relationship. It’s all about respect! If you want a strong relationship with a customer, or anyone for that matter, it is imperative that you show that person respect. Do simple things like the following:
- Show up to a meeting on time or better yet, early
- Don’t take a phone call from someone else while talking to a client
- Be prepared for the event so as not to waste anyone’s time
- Listen to what the other person has to say
- Dress professionally in a face to face meeting
- Do not interrupt when someone else is speaking
These relatively simple things all show respect. But you’d be surprised how many people violate them and don’t even realize they are doing it.
Do you remember the golden rule you were taught as a kid? Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. It’s that easy! Treat customers the way you want to be treated. Respect their time, their space, their needs, their feelings, and their situation. If you do this, they will show you respect in return.
I’ll end this session with a quote from Albert Schweitzer:
“Only those who respect the personality of others can be of real use to them.”
Sing along with Aretha Franklin…”R-E-S-P-E-C-T!”